Monday 12 October 2009

BLONDE'S BACKYARD BIAS BINDING

VINTAGE 1" DOUBLE FOLD BIAS TAPE
MODERN FLORAL 1" BIAS TAPE

CHOCOLATE SPOTTY DOTTY 1" BIAS TAPE

All from BLONDE'SBACKYARD

I don't know if you are anything like me, but until now I have always shop brought my own bias binding tape, but find that now rather than using plain tapes on patterned fabrics, I want to venture out and use pretty, vintage or funky fabrics as the edging as a highlight and plain linens, calico's and cottons as the main piece of fabric.
I have started making chunky bias binding for my shop blondesbackyard, and next week hope to add daintier tape in 1/2" double fold or 1" in single fold.
Since I have started, I now realise how easy it is, and wish I had started sooner, but then every thing takes time, and for those who would rather spend time making something in the evening, than trying to make bias binding tape on top, keep an eye on what I put in the shop, you may just see some you want to use....
I went out and brought the tape makers but if you go to this wonderful blog by Lucy Bloom, she explains just how to do it without all the fuss, although she doesn't explain that the fabric has to be cut on the bias, 45 deg angle, otherwise you get twisting and how to join your pieces together to make one long piece of tape. I will add a tutorial to the site to show you how, but for now take a peek here CREATIVE LITTLE DAISY

I tested this out about half an hour ago, and it really does work, 100%, and she is right you don't even need to lift the iron off the board! so now I have no excuse for not having the correct width bias tape for my project, OK so it means now finding fabrics with wonderful small designs and prints as the larger designs don't work as well... oh well I'll just have to go fabric hunting:-)
K

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read all you comments, ideas and things that may even help out!