Monday 2 January 2012

Make - Easy Pinwheels


Make Quilting Pinwheels

I stumbled upon this tutorial on another blog, but do you think I could find it, no.
I am no even sure if it an old method or newly invented by a talented quilter.
So if you are that talented person - thank-you and let me know so I can link back to your work.


I used 2 x 5" squares, but this works with any size squares
1 plain white the other is Amy Butler soul blossoms


First over lay the two pieces,
then sew a 1/4"  running stitch around the entire edge


Next using your ruler and rotary cutter (if you own one)
cut a diagonal line from one corner to the other


Cut complete


Making sure your 2 pieces are back together
cut a further diagonal line from the other 2 corners


You will now have 4 triangles


Open out each triangle
Press open all in the same direction towards your patterned fabric


Then arrange them ready for sewing together


take one top piece and overlay on the other top piece
sew a 1/4" seam (mine will be on left)


Trim off the excess


Repeat this process for the bottom 2 pieces


Press open
(at this point I still didn't think it would meet in the middle - need more faith in work!)
Lastly overlay your 2 halves sew a 1/4" seam


Press open - and trim square
Finished
Kx

2 comments:

  1. Bloody brilliant. I've been meaning to find a less fiddly and annoying way of doing that:)

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You disappear for months and now your back and definately on a roll! Love this idea, someone could have told me before I had to make that fiddly quilt for the flower show but now I know for next time.
    Happy new year
    Pene x

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all you comments, ideas and things that may even help out!