Tuesday 19 April 2011

MAKE - HOTPOT MATS

HOT POT MATS

The cheats way! There are a lot of fabrics, especially Japanese prints which make fabrics ready made in quilting squares, the one I have uses I brought from a Fellow Folksy Seller, but tons to be found on Etsy.

These squares are 2" square and as the pattern repeat was every 4 square I have made them 6" square.

You will need

Fabric cut to size 6 1/4" x 6 1/4"
Wadding/Batting - over sized
Backing fabric - over sized
Bias Binding - up to 30"

 First lay the backing fabric face down
Then the wadding / batting
Last Top fabric face up, and then pin together
(I have used 2 layers of batting in mine, as I wanted them foolproof and a little spongy!)
 Starting from one corner edge, I have my machine needle in the middle, for these small ones as I want my lines closer together, but for larger ones I would put the needle over to the left.
Set the stitch for a straight line, I use the same stitch I would use to sew most things! Start sewing following the edge.
When you get to the next corner, I may take a couple attempts at making sure your needle is far enough along, but you need to stick to the edge of the fabric, repeat this until you reach the beginning.
 You now will continue to follow with the sewn line on the right, around and around, until your squares get smaller and you reach the middle.
Secure last stitch, back and forth.
 The Lines on the front
 The sewn lines on the back, easier to see the sewn line on this side.
 OK your mat will look a bit like this before trimming
 Trim you excess backing fabric and the wadding/batting fabric

 Next attaching the bias binding, I use what I sell which is single folded 25"
Open out one edge and pin to one edge of the mat on the front.
 Sew down the open fold, until you reach near the end
(which is the distance you are sewing away from the edge)
I somebody has a better way of doing this let me know, as I do like to make my own way of sewing as I go along!
 I then remove it from the machine and place the binding on the next edge, as in the photo
 Another glimpse how the binding will tuck, pin if need for ease.
 Following from where you left off sew down the 2nd edge, repeat the for all four edges
 End of the fourth edge, I sew right off the end.
 Turn over to see what you have achieved so far!
Last bit, and hand sewing, pin the back of the bias binding and slip stitch closed, folding your four corners as you go (I really do need to do a binding tutorial!)
One thing I forgot to mention is insert a piece of ribbon across one corner on the reverse before you start sewing, so the mats can be hung on hooks in the kitchen!
If you think I have missed anything let me know.
Happy Sewing.
Kx

8 comments:

  1. Great tutorial and just what I need for my kitchen right now. I will try this and let you know how I get on.
    Thanks
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial, just one problem - I will be miffed when mine invariably come out looking rubbish compared to your perfect ones! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made pot holders many times but I'm excited about trying your technique. Thanks for the clear instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have to use a particular type of fabric and batting

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found this on Pinterest. Very nice! I've never quilted before, since I prefer to sew garments over crafts. Yet, these are so cute, tI am going to give them a try. Beautiful work! Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made two--very cute!--but am struggling with the binding. How do you join the ends up?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, how easy!! I just followed one pattern that required more batting and etc.. Yours look very easy and pretty.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all you comments, ideas and things that may even help out!